Since 2007, Dr. Kate Raynes-Goldie has been creating award-winning pervasive games (games that use the physical world as a game board) and experimental games (games that push existing boundaries or mix existing game genres). Named one of Australia and New Zealand’s most influential women in the games industry by MCV magazine for 2015, Kate is the founder of Games We Play a game consultancy which helps organisations use the power of games for education, community engagement and place activation.
Kate’s games have been featured at Indiecade (San Francisco), Come Out and Play (New York), the National Theatre (London), Playpublik (Berlin), Fresh Air (Melbourne) and the TIFF Sprockets (Toronto). She is also the founder of Playup Perth, a popular monthly playtesting social that features the latest and greatest games from Western Australia.
Some highlights of her portfolio include:
• The world’s first story-driven educational escape room for State Library of Western Australia to give clients a new way of engaging with the library’s collection (MEMORI, 2014)
• A digitally augmented board game co-created with kids to teach privacy literacy with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (The Watchers, 2010)
• A place activation street game celebrating mischief and public space that was played in cities around the world (Gentrification: The Game, 2010)
• A Twitter-based conference social game for Edge of the Web (Edgar of the Web, 2008)
• Perth’s first ever Alternate Reality Game for the Byte Me Festival (Ghost Town, 2007)