I'm a researcher, educator and game designer based in Fremantle, Australia. I co-founded Atmosphere Industries
, an award-winning game design non-profit. I'm also currently teaching at Curtin University's Department of Internet Studies
, where I recently completed a PhD. My thesis
used an ethnographic method to examine the architecture, discourse and consequences of Facebook's privacy design. My current focus is the use of social media, community technologies and pervasive gaming to support sustainability, activism, education and community building.
Recent & upcoming talks
Recent & forthcoming publications:
- "What Games Can Be" TEDxPerth. Perth, Australia. December 8, 2012
- "The social shaping of privacy enhancing technology" For Your Eyes Only. Brussels, Belgium November 29-30, 2012
- "Educating (with) Facebook" Internet Research 13. Manchester UK. October 18-21, 2012
- "Gaming Privacy: making a privacy literacy game with Canadian Children" Internet Research 13. Manchester UK. October 18-21, 2012
- "Making an online privacy game for kids, with kids." Media 140 Digital Futures. Perth, Australia, April 28, 2012.
- "Co-Creating with Kids: Experiences from Collaborative Interactive Design." INplay 2012. Toronto, Canada. May 15, 2012
(see also past talks & publications)